Welcome to our Members
OACT Annual Awards Dinner – don’t miss out!
There are a large number of Bushflyers who have already booked for the dinner, to be held at the Southern Cross Yacht Club on Sunday 24th November at 6pm.
Details are on the OACT website; please register through Eventor by FRIDAY 15th November. OACT provides a very generous subsidy for this occasion, to make it accessible to as many orienteers as possible.
It is now over five weeks The Oceania and Australian Orienteering Championships, and The Australian Schools Championships, around Wagga Wagga and Beechworth – a very successful and enjoyable time for us all.
It was a huge event for the ACT, and Bushflyers in particular. Thank you to all of you who played such critical roles in the success of the whole carnival. We would particularly like to acknowledge the hours of work put in by:
- Ross Stewart, Alison Inglis, Peter Miller and the organising team at both the Australian Long and the Oceania/Australian Relay Championships, held just out of Cootamundra on the first weekend. Two full consecutive days are a significant challenge for any organising team, and both events were certainly challenging, fun and enjoyable.
- Andrew Hobson, the Financial Officer and Registration Coordinator for the whole Oceania and ASOC Carnival.
- Jane Barnett and Tom de Jongh, for their for their commitment to and support of the ACT team. It is a huge task, done with care and patience at all times! Moreover, they were a huge support to me as I coordinated the ASOC Carnival.
Congratulations to all who had success – as place getters in their individual events, as members of ACT relay teams, and as members of the ACT Schools team. It was very exciting watching the team at their events, especially the Relay Championships, one of the best spectator events of the year!!
For others of us, particularly some of our developing orienteers, the success was being able to participate, to meet challenges – of terrain, map-reading and friendly rivalry – to learn, and to have fun at a whole new level of competition.
Congratulations to Caitlin Young and David Stocks who were named in the 2019 ASOC Honour Team.
2019 NOL (National Orienteering League) results: Congratulations to Patrick Miller who has won the 2019 Junior Men title. Ryan Stocks, Noah Poland and Tristan Miller appeared in the Top 10 of the Junior Men, and Caitlin Young in the Top 5 of the Junior Women. These are outstanding results from our Junior Bushflyers.
2019 – 2020 – More events from Bushflyers
With the Twilight season now underway, Bushflyers are again organising a number of events. We have already had an event at Remembrance Park on 6th October, organised by Susanne Harryson. Coming up are:
- 20th November – Mt Taylor (Jessie Piiroinen and Ari Piiroinen)
- 4th December – Campbell Parklands (Justine Hobson and Jo Hobson)
- 18th December – Mt Ainslie North (Ross Stewart and Chris Anderson)
Thank you to all of the organisers and helpers for all of these events. We could not do it without you!
Susanne Harryson has just completed organising another 4-week SC-ORE series – these are fast and furious before school team/relay events, which have attracted well over 150 students every week! It is always exciting to see the number of these beginners who develop a real appetite for orienteering and then participate in our further event programs and coaching opportunities. Thank you to Toni Brown and David Poland for their ongoing support and guidance of this very successful event.
The 2020 program has been published – it looks to be another exciting year, with some new venues and maps, and returns to old favourites, as well as our popular Twilight and Metro series. One exciting new venture is the Sprint Series running on Sunday mornings, starting on 12th January.
As a start to the year, Bushflyers will be organising Twilight events on 26th February – Radford College and 4th March – Oakey Hill, and two events in the Classic Series at Mongarlowe on the weekend of 28 – 29th March. Thank you to those people who have already offered to take on course planning and organising roles. If you would like to assist, please contact Matt Stocks who manages the Bushflyers roster. The full event calendar can be found here.
For Your Calendar
- Sunday 24th November: OACT Annual Awards Dinner, Southern Cross Yacht Club, 6pm
- Thursday 28th November: OACT Council Meeting
Remember that I have a number of Bushflyers O-tops and jackets available in a range of sizes for you to purchase.
Please contact me for further details if you are interested in updating your orienteering wardrobe.
OACT Contacts and Club Representatives.
The next Council meeting is on Thursday 28th November, at Wesley Uniting Church at 8pm. While we are well represented at the level of Board and Council, we remind you that all of you are invited to Council meetings. Please feel free to contact either Matt or Susanne if you have any ideas or thoughts you would like taken to these forums.
- Board Members: Peter Miller (Treasurer); Valerie Barker, Jane Barnett, David Stocks
- Council Members: Matt Stocks – , Susanne Harrysson –
Bushflyers has a Facebook page. “Like” our page and keep up to date with what’s happening in our club.
For Bushflyers Orienteering – where no-one gets left on the bench!