Orienteering ACT Welcomes All to 2023
For ACT orienteers keen to improve, we have an exciting series of training opportunities coming your way:
- TRAKOTACK runs for five weeks starting 1 Feb. This is a series which helps grow our newer orienteers into confident navigators by teaching essential skills and providing opportunities for extension for Easy level navigators to progress to Moderate courses (adults welcome!). TRAKOTACK training will take place at 4.30pm at the Wednesday Twilight Series events. The first TRAKOTACK is at Bruce Ridge, O’Connor. It’s a great way to get started with orienteering and to train up for SC-ORE School Orienteering. For new navigators, as well as putting your spatial brain to work, there will be lots of fun enticements to keep you going. Info Flyer is here.
- Focus on Girls and Women, five sessions in nine days! Learn lots, be ready for the 2023 year ahead. The first session is 4pm Thurs 2 Feb. Training will cater for all levels from beginner to hard. (Hard level, from 4.30pm). Women and Girls who have previously attended these sessions, get ready to step it up, either technically or physically! And to meet lots of keen orienteering women. Fresh from the podium at Oceania Championships in Tasmania supported by Toni Brown, Canberra Cockatoo Natalie Miller will lead this session sharing her skills and knowledge from orienteering all around the country.
- Orienteering Training for Boys, five sessions in 9 days! Learn lots, be ready for the 2023 year ahead. The first session is 4pm Thurs 2 Feb. Training will cater for all levels from beginner to hard. (Hard level, from 4.30pm). Also fresh from the podium at Oceania Championships in Tasmania, Canberra Cockatoo and Australian World Mountain Running representative Toby Lang will lead this session bringing skills and knowledge from years and a range of experiences. Toby will be in the field with the hard level training so get your skates on for some top training.
- Mountain Bike Orienteering Training Weekend, 18-19 Feb . Two days of learning to navigate on wheels at speed. This two day MTBO Training weekend will have DAY 1 with full focus on MTBO beginners and DAY 2 will focus on experienced MTBOers and everyone who would like to improve their MTBO skills further to an advanced level. The thrilling intense program of technical & mental tasks and exercises is under preparation. We will have four coaches on board: Raynie McNee, Emily Stewart-Reed, and Marina & Fedor Iskhakov. Upgrade your MTBO skills and be prepared for a great 2023 ACT MTBO season with the events schedule here.
- March Training Camp for all ages, 17-19 March. Details to follow – save the date.
The Training camp will commence Friday evening with a night training session and conclude after the Sunday 19 March ACT League event.
Training will be targeting moderate and hard level runners, those preparing for the Easter Orienteering Carnival (7-10 April) and juniors interesting in the Australian Schools Orienteering Carnival in late Sept (ASOC Trials to commence 13 May 2023). Coaches Toni Brown, Rob Walter, Marina Iskhakova. Others interested in delivering a coaching session during this camp, please contact Toni Brown OACT Development Officer. This is not a beginner camp.
No time like the present to make 2023 your year for some outdoor wild navigation! Everyone warmly welcomed!
Note: Focus on Girls and Women AND Boys Orienteering Training will take place at the same time, on the same map and in adjacent areas. This will allow families with boys and girls to engage with training at the same time.