Map Mates is a four week action packed adventure series for children aged 7 to 13 aimed at beginners. The series is held twice a year, in May (Saturday mornings) and October (Wednesday evenings) in conjunction with the Saturday Metro Series and the Twilight Series.
Teams of 2 – 4 children navigate around an easy safe orienteering course. Parents are welcome to take part. A free welcome event is held the week before where prospective Map Mates can meet each other and learn how to read a map and enjoy an orienteering course.
Each event is preceded by an optional 20 minute fun filled activity session that teaches a different map reading skill each week. A compass is not required. Parents receive four weekly emails which include coaching tips, hints and optional ‘fun-fact’ map activities for the children. Prizes are awarded to each competitor. Extra points are awarded fun stuff like best team name, best team uniform, best map of your back yard.
The emphasis is on fun and adventure, while learning to orienteer!
Map Mates Winter Season
The Winter Season of Map Mates runs in conjunction with the ACT Metro Series.
The program consists of the Welcome Event and then a series of 4 weeks for the Map Mates competition. After the series has concluded, we encourage the children to continue to orienteer at the subsequent Saturday program of events, either in their original teams, in new teams or individually.
Map Mates Summer Season
The Summer Season of Map Mates runs in conjunction with the Summer Twilight Program of events.
The program consists of the Welcome Event and then a series of 4 weeks for the Map Mates competition. After the series has concluded, we encourage the children to continue to orienteer at the subsequent Wednesday program of events, either in their original teams, in new teams or individually.
Map Mates Fees
$90 per child
- The four competition events (including weekly coaching sessions, event maps and fun-fact sheets)
- FREE Welcome Event
- FREE Season Pass to the remainder of the season events (usually an extra 10 events)
- FREE presentation BBQ
- End of competition PRIZES for all competitors
- Discounted SI Stick
Each child needs
- Their own SI Stick. Usual cost $55; however, you can buy one for $30 online when you register
- running shoes
- sun cream
- water bottle
Children may bring a compass, however they are not recommended.
Register for Map Mates
Registration opens about a month before each season begins, and closes four days after the free Welcome Event.
Summer Map Mates (currently closed)
Winter Map Mates
Upcoming Map Mates Events
|Saturday||25-May-19||ACT Metro Series: Junior League #4, Map Mates #3, Campbell Park|
|Saturday||01-Jun-19||ACT Metro Series: Junior League #5, Map Mates #4, Aranda Snow Gums|
• We take photographs of participants for publicity purposes. Please advise us in writing if you do not want this to happen.
• By entering, you accept that orienteering, like all outdoor adventure sports, has risks.
• No refund will be possible if any events are cancelled due to weather, Government regulations, or any other circumstances.