Welcome to our Members
Jane Barnett has generously offered to host an end-of year-Swarm at her home on Friday 30th November. Everyone is invited, especially our newer members. The last couple of Swarms have been held very successfully at major events; however, those Bushies who have not been travelling have missed out.
This Swarm, our final for 2018, is for ALL club members. We appreciate that it is at a busy time of the year, with a full orienteering calendar before you even consider all of the other school and family commitments we all have. If you can come for even a short time only, you will be very welcome.
Details: A Pot Luck meal (no BBQ facilities will be available). Please bring a dish/a salad/a plate to share (sweet or savoury), and your own drinks. The club will provide breads and fruit as well. There will be no formalities – we meet to share orienteering stories from the year, celebrate the successes of so many club members, and enjoy each other’s company.
Venue: 48 Bentham Street, Yarralumla ACT 2600
Time: 5.30 – 8.00pm
RSVP: to Valerie (0410 151 554 or by email – see below) by Sunday 25th November
It is now over two weeks since a number of us returned from South Australia and The Australian Orienteering Championships, and the Australian Schools Championships – a very successful and enjoyable time for us all. The Bushflyers banner flew at every event, and it was great to welcome both our very experienced orienteers, as well as families for whom this was a ‘first outing’ of this kind. We were very fortunate with the weather, in both Renmark and the Adelaide Hills, as we competed on a variety of terrains, from deeply eroded river plateaux, to pine forests, and open farmland with extensive granite outcrops.
Congratulations to all who had success – as place getters in their individual events, as members of relay teams, and as members of the highly successful ACT Schools team, who won the Australian Schools Championship for the third consecutive year. It was very exciting watching the team at their events, especially the Relay Championships, one of the best spectator events of the year!!
Congratulations to Patrick Miller, Noah Poland, David Stocks, and Justine Hobson who were all named in the 2018 ASOC Honour Team. Thank you again to the team officials – all Bushflyers – Jane Barnett, Tom de Jongh and David Poland, for their commitment to and support of the ACT team. It is a huge task, done with care and patience at all times!
OACT Annual Awards Dinner
All OACT members are invited to the annual Awards Dinner, to be held at the Southern Cross Yacht Club on Sunday 25th November at 6pm. Details are on the OACT website; please register through Eventor. OACT provides a very generous subsidy for this occasion, to make it accessible to as many orienteers as possible.
Nominations for awards are also called for: the Mike Cassells Award for Services to Orienteering; the Jim Sawkins Award for Event Management; and the Award for Services to Coaching. information on each of the awards and lists of previous recipients can be found here (Please note that these may be awarded once only, and Bushflyers is very well represented in the list of previous recipients). If you know of someone you think is worthy of a nomination,
Bushies Uniforms and Children’s Shirt Library
- Our new Bushflyers jackets arrived just in time to be worn during the Australian Championships – they look great, and we received quite a few compliments.
- Remember that I have a small number of old-style and new Bushflyers orienteering tops at hand, if you would like to purchase them directly from me, as well as a few of the new jackets. They are as follows:
- O-top new-style (as above) Women’s L (x 1). Cost $55
- Jackets: Men – 1 x Med, 1 x Large; Women – 1 x Med, 1 x Small. Cost $65
- O-tops old style (Trimtex) – Women’s XS (x 3), Men’s XL (x 1) and Men’s XXL (x 1), and will cost you only $50. (Many of us are still currently wearing these)
- I also have two of our ‘aprés-O’ tops (a white t-shirt style), both Women’s 12. Cost $15
- One pair of three-quarter O-pants in Club colours, but no logo, Medium. $50
- Jo Hobson is taking over our Children’s O-shirt Library, which has been in abeyance for the past few months. To have this running successfully again, especially for next year, we need your help:
- If you have had shirts on loan from the Library that your child no longer fits or needs, please return these to Jo as soon as possible. (There will be a collection point at the next few events). Please be sure to indicate who has been using them, to help us manage our records.
- If you have a Library shirt on loan – and you would like to keep it for the rest of the season, or for your next child – please also let Jo know. Ensure that she knows the size of the top. This will help us develop an accurate inventory of our stock.
- If you have any Bushflyers children’s O-tops that you would like to pass on to other children to use, as a donation through the Library, these would also be much appreciated.
- Jo can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have families keen to borrow from the Library – let’s use this opportunity to re-stock it and have it functioning well again.
2018- 2019 – More events from Bushflyers
Our event organisation has been quiet over the past couple of months, after very busy year. However, with the Twilight season now underway, Bushflyers are again organising a number of events: 31st October – Campbell Park; 14th November – Remembrance Park; and 28th November – Gossan Hill.
The 2019 program has just been published – it looks to be an exciting year, with some new venues and maps, and returns to old favourites, as well as our popular Twilight and Metro series. As a start to the year, Bushflyers will be organising events on 13th February – Mt Ainslie North; 17th March – The Gib and 4th May – Weston Park, each part of the three major series that are run. Thank you to those people who have already offered to take on course planning and organising roles. If you would like to assist, please contact Matt Stocks who manages the Bushflyers roster. The full event calendar can be found here.
For Your Calendar
- Sunday 25th November: OACT Annual Awards Dinner, Southern Cross Yacht Club, 6pm
- Thursday 29th November: OACT Council meeting
- Friday 30th November: Bushies End-of-Year Swarm
OACT Contacts and Club Representatives.
The next Council meeting is on Thursday 29th November, at Wesley Uniting Church at 8pm. While we are well represented at the level of Board and Council, we remind you that all of you are invited to Council meetings. Please feel free to contact either Matt or Susanne if you have any ideas or thoughts you would like taken to these forums.
- Board Members: David Poland (President); Peter Miller (Treasurer); Valerie Barker, Anita Scherrer; Jo Hobson; Jane Barnett
- Council Members: Matt Stocks – email@example.com, Susanne Harrysson – firstname.lastname@example.org
Bushflyers has a Facebook page. “Like” our page and keep up to date with what’s happening in our club.
Valerie Barker (Club Convenor)
6251 5459/0410 151 554
For Bushflyers Orienteering – where no-one gets left on the bench!