Students from Radford College were the major winners in 2018 ACT Secondary Schools Orienteering Championships held in conjunction with the finale of the 2018 Junior League on the Stromlo West map. Course planner, Zoe Melhuish, forwent the opportunity to compete in the Championships to prepare challenging courses on terrain which, on first impressions, looked fairly bland, but as many competitors were to find precise navigation was essential. The course maps and photos by John Harding are here. Tom de Jongh provided the feature image.
As they did in 2017, the Canberra Grammar School Code Cadets provided radio controls and electronic results via O-Lynx.
Over 50 students from various high schools and colleges participated in the Championships. The winners in each age class were:
- M12: Aidan Guinness, Campbell High
- M14: Nicholas Brennan, Canberra Grammar
- M16: David Stocks, Radford College
- M18: Patrick Miller, Dickson College
- W12: Mia Witheford, Radford College
- W14: Justine Hobson, Radford College
- W16: Ella Cuthbert, Lyneham High
- W18: Caitlin Young, Dickson College
The Champion Schools and Colleges were:
- Colleges – Men: Dickson
- Colleges – Women: Dickson
- High Schools: Men: Radford (79 pts), Canberra Grammar (74 pts)
- High Schools: Women: Radford College (53 pts), Lyneham High (35 pts)