All keen school-aged ACT Orienteers are encouraged to trial for the 2018 ACT Schools Orienteering Team. If you are regularly and comfortably running orange (junior category) or red courses (senior category), and are attending an ACT school, you are encouraged to nominate for selection in the team.
The selected team will take part in the 2018 Australian Schools Orienteering Championships. The Championships will be held in South Australia between the 29th of September and the 7th of October. The ACT team will be aiming to take their third consecutive national title.
The team will comprise of four competitors in each of the following categories, with up to 4 travelling reserves. The selection process will seek to choose the best performing athletes to represent the ACT in each category. Competition age categories*:
- Junior Girls 15 years and under
- Senior Girls 16 years and over (open)
- Junior Boys 15 Years and under
- Senior Boys 16 years and over (open)
*Age is at 31st December in the year of competition.
Selections will be based on performances in all of the following four selection trial events:
- Sunday 15 April, AL#3, Orroral Tracking Station
- Saturday 12 May, AL#5, ACT Sprint Championships, Canberra Grammar School
- Sunday 13 May, AL#6, ACT Middle Championships, Orroral East
- Sunday 3 June, AL #7, Wild Deer Sands
It is expected that students nominating for selection will participate in all four of the primary selection events.
Nominations close Wednesday 11 April. Late nominations may be considered after this date. To nominate:
- Visit the Eventor event ACT Schools Nomination 2018.
- Enter the event in your applicable age category.
- You must choose each of the selection events you are intending to enter. Do so by adding ‘services’ for each relevant event. It is expected that nominees will select all four events. However, nominees that know in advance that they will not be able to attend all selection events can select only those races that they wish to have considered. Those nominees will also need to send a separate email to the Selection Panel Convenor, Valerie Barker (firstname.lastname@example.org), indicating which alternate race or races they would like to have considered.
- Make the payment of $5.
- A confirmation email will be sent to you prior to the first selection race.
More Information is available in the trials information flyer, if you have any questions please contact:
Toni Brown on 0411 968 001, or the Selection Panel Convenor Valerie Barker 0410 151 554.